Such as the title says I believe Ryuma and Zoro are related!
I don’t know how, but I believe Zoro is the direct descendant from Ryuma!
1. To back my theory a little bit up I would start with an SBS where Oda tells the reader which nationality the Strawhats might have in the real world!
A fan asked this question and Oda replied Japanese for Zoro!
As we all are the same opinion, that Wano are based on ancient Japan, the possibility for Zoro having his roots there getting a bit higher if you are optimistic as me .
2. We know Ryuma from Wano is the same Ryuma from Oda’s previous one-shot manga, Monsters. And when we look at his appearance :
Ryuma before his death in Monsters!
He looks almost like Zoro, only the black hair and his Samurai hairstyle are different!
He even eats one of Zoros favorite attacks “Onigiri”
Ryuma is also lefthanded just like Zoro, because Samurai have their swords on the right hip when they are lefthanded!
People might say, that this is to obvious but I don’t think so, Oda managed to link Ryuma from Monsters with One Piece so he could easily do that with Ryuma and Zoro as direct descendants and it does make even sense, at least for me .
3. Even the plot with Shusui the national treasure of Wano could be solved, when the Samurais of Wano see the potential of Zoro as a Swordsman. Furthermore if one of the old folks see the similarity in their appearance, then they will acknowledge Zoro as a direct descendant and the only true holder of Shusui and everything is fine.
Maybe this arc will also give us more backstory about Zoro, why he isn’t on Wano etc.
4. Zoros behavior is just like that of an Samurai, even Vivi gave him the nickname Mr. Bushido. Bushido is the codex/credo of Samurais, a guide of how they live etc.
People might say, a lot of Swordsman are like that, but that’s false, he really acts like a Samurai and that’s not a coincedence, because I believe Oda plans big things with him in Wano!
So this are a few little back ups for my theory! I highly believe it!
So in addition to that I also believe, that I know where exactly in Wano he came from!
I believe the Wano Kingdom is based on the Book “The Book of Five Rings” from ancient Japan greatest Samurai Miyamoto Musashi!
The five “books” refer to the idea that there are different elements of battle, just as there are different physical elements in life, as described by Buddhism, Shinto, and other Eastern religions. The five books below are Musashi’s descriptions of the exact methods or techniques which are described by such elements.
- The Book of Earth chapter serves as an introduction, and metaphorically discusses martial arts, leadership, and training as building a house.
- The Book of Water chapter describes Musashi’s style, Ni-ten ichi-ryu, or “Two Heavens, One Style”. It describes some basic technique and fundamental principles.
- The Book of Fire chapter refers to the heat of battle, and discusses matters such as different types of timing.
- The Book of Wind chapter is something of a pun, since the Japanese character can mean both “wind” and “style” (e.g., of martial arts). It discusses what Musashi considers to be the failings of various contemporary schools of swordfighting.
- The Book of the Void chapter is a short epilogue, describing, in more esoteric terms, Musashi’s probably Zen-influenced thoughts on consciousness and the correct mindset.
So I believe Wano Kingom is splitted in 5 areas/islands where 5 different techniques of fighting dominating each area/island.
This is also why the names of Samurai are spelled that way!
Foxfire Kinemon is from the Fire area/island where the best fire-technique Samurais came from
Jigoro of the wind is from the wind area/island
Shilew of the rain is from the water area/island etc!
There’s also the earth area/island where they specialized in earth based techniques!
Every island hast a different clima (snow,hot, autumn etc)
Since Zoros favorite island is a autum in a autum island I believe his descendants came from a Wano autum island where all the Sakura trees losing their leaves just like the Japanese love.
But the most important is the void island, it’s very related to the void century, it’s almost destroyed for 800 years ago from the Worldgoverment who were able to control dragons, that’s why Samurai hate Dragons.
Only a Poneglyph left and there are only a few Samurai Grand Masters who know the secret techniques! Zoro will learn those techniques when he shows he’s worthy!
Btw I believe the best Swordssmiths of the world are in Wano and we will know more about the Wado Ichi Monji and that Kojiro is also from Wano!
Hope you enjoyed it guys!
*Theory by Saikō no Kenshi